Guest Blogger: Steve White (Co-Owner, Different Regard)
One of the re-occurring questions with the common gentlemen is, "Where do I start?" So we decided to provide a breakdown of the wardrobe essentials that all gentlemen must consider when starting and/or adding to their wardrobe.
1. "The Classic White Shirt” A button down shirt is always a must have in your wardrobe. Pima Oxford & Egyptian Cotton is a preferred fabric to start a new gents wardrobe. Both of these fabrics feel luxurious on the body but, wont break your pockets. The white shirt promotes & accommodates versatility in any man’s wardrobe. The classic white shirt pairs well with suits, pants, denim, and shorts. Pima Oxford & Egyptian Cotton Shirts are available @DifferentRegard
2. “The Navy Suit” The navy suit is needed just as much as a black suit however, black tends to be too heavy on the eye whereas though navy is always necessary. Start out with a modern fit single-breasted suit because you can wear it for your personal, professional, & social life. Wear, as separates for a casual style and substitutes are Petrol Blue. “Always own more than one suit” Custom options available @DifferentRegard
3. “Salvage Denim Jeans” Denim is so classic that I argue every man’s wardrobe should have both a denim jacket & denim jeans. Denim is so much easier to style than you think. Once you start out your wardrobe with the 7 essentials then you can upgrade to a Tailored Gent and then your must haves become your denim shirt, denim blazer, & denim vest as well. Salvage Denim pairs well with a blazer, t-shirt, black captoe, topcoat, & crewneck sweater. Remember denim should be tailored not tight!
4. “White T-Shirt”Please make sure your t-shirt is luxurious good quality cotton. Different Regard recommends Pima or Mercerized Cotton Shirts at the bare minimum for style and performance. Pair your tee with your denim jeans, suit, or even with your topcoat. Pima & Mercerized Cotton T’s available @DifferentRegard
5. “Top Coat or Pea Coat”The coat should contain smooth wool with a slight stretch that will give you flexibility & warmth. Start out your wardrobe with color palates such as Navy, Black, or Camel which is about as classic as a menswear coat gets. I assure you this coat works well over your suit and with your salvage denim jeans. Available @DifferentRegard
6. “Crewneck Sweater” Make yourself out of a believer if you don’t believe that the crewneck sweater is as versatile as your denim in your wardrobe. Start out with a navy sweater with a suggested fabric of at least cashmere. If your budget calls for a blend go more cashmere wool and less another fabric. This sweater can be layered and worn with absolutely everything in your wardrobe. Custom Knitwear Available @DifferentRegard
7. “Black Lace Up Shoes” Last, but not the least important. It is essential for every man to start off with at least a nice pair of black tie up shoes. Keep it simple enough to wear with your denim for a casual cause but, elegant enough to wear with your suit. “Cap toes always work”